This course is intended for those with some practical experience of cruising. It is a more advanced study of navigation & meteorology which is designed to be interesting, enjoyable and achievable.
Your instructor will coach you through the more complex elements of calculating tidal heights, making offshore passages, piloting a yacht safely and understanding and using the weather to best advantage.
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.