Penarth Motor Boat and Sailing Club was formed in 1932 and changed to Cardiff Bay Yacht Club T/As PMB&SC Ltd in 1999. It is situated on the water’s edge overlooking Cardiff Bay, Europe’s most exciting waterfront regeneration scheme.
In 2004 we were awarded ‘Volvo Championship Club Status’, one of only three clubs in Wales to achieve this remarkable standard.
The Club offers its members a wide range of facilities both nautical and social, and has extensive mooring rights for 500 boats on the River Ely with a fully piled pontoon system. There are two slipways, one of which was constructed for the use of the Dinghy Section. The Club also has a travel hoist for getting the larger boats out of the water. Activities at the Club include:
- A dinghy fleet that races as often as they can in all types of craft.
- A Sportsboat fleet that regularly races inside the Bay and often joins the offshore racing fleet which races both 'around-the-cans' as well as passage races around the Bristol Channel.
- A very well supported, active angling section responsible for organising many competitions and social activities throughout the year.
The Clubhouse, opened in 1998 by H.R.H. Princess Anne, houses the two bars, ample changing facilities and the Club’s Administration Office.
The larger of the two bars, the Quarterdeck has floor to ceiling windows giving a panoramic view of the bay. With seating for up to 120 diners it is the venue of the Club’s main social events. There is also a restaurant where our resident chef serves up tasty meals on a Thursday evening and Saturday and Sunday Lunchtimes.
The smaller bar, the Quay lounge is located on the ground floor, with a maximum capacity of 60, also has great views out over the Bay.